Monday, December 31, 2012

Old Man in my Car

Here is a story about a stranger.
What I am about to tell you is completely true.

One time, I went camping.

This is not such a big deal for me or anyone else, really. Camping happens.

I went by myself, and I brought my dog Bruno, a doberman. We drove north for a few hours till we got to the town of Charlevoix, MI, which is on the shores of Lake Michigan. Then we stopped at a state park, paid the fee, and went camping.

Bruno does not like camping. It makes him nervous. Every twig snap, every child laughing, every flashlight in the night sends him into fits of barking. Bruno does not have a nice bark. He only does one kind of bark, and it's very loud and very deep.

People avoided us when we went camping, because Bruno scared them.

Anyway, that's the not story.

It was almost evening and my cousin Jay and his girlfriend Eva were coming up to visit me while I camped. So I tied Bruno to a tree and I started hauling stuff out of the trunk of my car. I brought all kinds of goodies with me when I went camping - 99% of which I did not use. But for them coming to visit, I did need some firewood and some charcoal, and a little axe to chop up the firewood. (As it turns out, I forgot the axe.)

I grabbed the charcoal out of the trunk and walked back toward the picnic table. I looked over at my driver's side window as I passed by and saw something very, very odd.

Sitting in the driver's seat of my car was an old man.
I stopped with the charcoal in my arms and looked at him for what seemed like a really long time. I just stared. I can't remember what went through my mind. I'm assuming I was kind of freaked out about there being a dude in my car.

He was just as real as you and me. Nothing ethereal or ghost like. He had white hair, nicely combed, and prominent cheekbones. He had a little bit of white stubble on his face. His arm was tan with white hairs on it and he was wearing a turquoise dress shirt, short sleeved with a crease. He was looking straight ahead, not noticing me at all.

And then suddenly all I could see was the reflection of the trees in my window and the old man was gone.

I am not prone to thinking that everything I see is supernatural, but after pondering the incident for the last few months, I'm pretty sure I saw a ghost.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You can comment. I will comment back. It will be comment conversation!